The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, and the Medical Humanities Graduate Program are pleased to announce the final examination of Rachel Pearson for degree of Doctor of Philosophy. Her defense will be held on Monday, August 24, 2015, 8:30 – 11:30 a.m., 1.104 Ewing Hall. The title of her dissertation is Medical Objectivity: The Narratives that Structure Knowledge and Identity in Medicine.
All faculty and students are invited to attend. We ask that you sit quietly. Only Rachel’s committee members will be able to speak to the candidate during the defense. All guests will be asked to leave the room at the end of the defense while the committee members deliberate.
Rachel is in the MD/PhD Combined Program. She began her PhD work in medical humanities in the summer 2009 term. She then went back to medical school for a while, then came back to us to complete her PhD work in the fall of 2012. Rachel Pearson has a B.A. from the Plan 2 Honors program at the University of Texas at Austin, where she received the Robert C. Solomon Scholarship in the Arts and Philosophy. She has worked variously as a journalist, a patient advocate, and an actress in a traveling children's theatre troupe, and her creative work has appeared in the Mid-American Review, the Indiana Review, and on the air through Chicago Public Radio's Third Coast Audio Festival. Rachel has a keen interest in issues of the mind, the brain, and narrative medicine.
- Jason Glenn, Ph.D., (CHAIR), Associate Professor, PMCH; Member, Institute for the Medical Humanities, UTMB
- Michele Carter, Ph.D., Professor, PMCH; Frances C. and Courtney M. Townsend, Sr., M.D. Professor in Medical Ethics, Interim Director and Member, Institute for the Medical Humanities, UTMB
- Rebecca Hester, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Medical Humanities Graduate Program, UTMB
- Robert Beach, M.D., Professor Emeritus, Pediatric Nephrology, UTMB
- Kathryn Montgomery, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus of Medical Humanities & Bioethics and Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL