Institutional Ethics Committee
Statement of Mission
The mission of the UTMB Institutional Ethics Committee (IEC) is to provide a multidisciplinary forum for the analysis and discussion of ethical standards effecting patient care, professional education and community interests.
This mission is fulfilled through the Committee's advisory, educational, policy development, and service functions.
Statement of Bylaws
- The IEC was established to formalize and specify the Institution's commitment to promotion of high ethical standards in all of its operations. The purpose of the IEC is to cultivate a pluralistic and democratic exchange of ethical values and concerns and to critically analyze that discussion for opportunities to enhance the ethical integrity of the Institution.
- The IEC, through its delegated sub-committees and task forces, is charged with assisting the Institution in conducting its patient care and business operations within a consistent ethical framework.
- The IEC, through its delegated sub-committees and task forces, is charged with assisting the Institution in the integration of ethical values into practice, policy, relationships, and organizational activities.
- The IEC also exists in order to better identify, understand, coordinate and facilitate essential ethical principles and their practice throughout the Institution. To that end, the IEC works to coordinate and integrate current initiatives in medical ethics in schools and programs such as the School of Medicine, School of Nursing, School of Allied Health Sciences, the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and the Institute for the Medical Humanities.
- The IEC is composed of two Chairpersons (usually one clinician and one ethicist), who share equally in their duties and responsibilities, an Executive Secretary, and 25-30 active members who represent an appropriate balance of professional, ethical, legal, cultural, educational, student, and community interests.
- The UTMB Medical Director and the UTMB President or their designees are ex-officio members.
- All members are nominated by the Chairperson and approved by the UTMB President or designee. The following qualities are sought in IEC members: interest and motivation, commitment and availability, experience or education, respect for divergent opinions, interest in committee work, integrity, and diplomacy.