UTMB Research Ethics Consultation Service
The UTMB Research Ethics Consultation Service promotes integrity and strives for clarity in the midst of what can be complex and confusing ethical situations that arise in the conduct of clinical and translational research.
Services provided include:
- Advise about whether the issue is something that should be addressed by the IRB
- Help learn about appropriate ethical standards, responsibilities and values
- Identify additional resources available to address the issue
- Clarify values involved in a situation, especially if they are in conflict
- Assist with the practical interpretations of ethical regulations
- Determine whether an ethical problem or dilemma exists
- Help reason through ethical conflicts as they arise during research
- Provide appropriate ethical recommendations
- Help promote responsible conduct and ethical sensitivity in research
- Advice and problem solving
Requesting a Consultation
A consultation can be initiated by contacting a consultant at (409) 747-1230 (after-hours and on the weekends and holidays a recorded message supplies a pager number to reach the on-call consultant). Or, you may call the director at (409) 772-1208. If you are on campus, just dial 21208.
UTMB Research Ethics Consultants Originally supported by a President's Cabinet Award.