- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution or an advanced
degree and training from an acceptable foreign institution of higher
- A recommended grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). Grades
received in graduate courses, which are computed separately, are also considered
in evaluation of the application.
- Official GRE scores for verbal, quantitative, and writing sections must be
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International
English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required if English is not the native
language. The minimum requirement on the TOEFL is 550 or greater on the
paper-based test, or 213 or greater on the computer-based test or 6.5 for the
IELTS Academic Test.
- Adequate subject preparation for the proposed graduate major.
Preference will be given to applicants with an advanced degree in bioethics,
history, law, literature, philosophy, or religious studies; a closely allied
program in the humanities or social sciences; or one of the health sciences or
professions. Students entering with a B.A. degree alone will be evaluated after
one year to determine whether they may continue beyond the master's degree.
Personal interviews with members of the IMH faculty are encouraged. Demonstrated
reading competence in at least one foreign language is strongly encouraged and
will be required for students doing comparative or international research.
Completed applications must be received by November 1st, March 1st, and June
1st. Applications are considered for admission for the subsequent term.